廣告

2017年6月22日 星期四

Intel becomes major Olympics sponsor as games go digital

Intel becomes major Olympics sponsor as games go digital

US chipmaker Intel has said it will showcase new technologies at the Olympics, starting next year at the Winter Games in South Korea. The deal comes a week after McDonald's and the Olympic Committee severed ties.
USA Pressekonferenz Intel IOC in New York (picture-alliance/AP Photo/C. Sykes)
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) partnered with fast processors instead of fast food as it announced a new sponsorship deal with US chipmaker Intel on Wednesday.  
The agreement, which runs until 2024, will see the technology firm showcase a range of new technologies at the upcoming Summer and Winter Games, including 5G wireless technology, virtual reality, artificial intelligence and drones.
"We're very excited to be working with the Intel team to drive the future of the Olympic Games through cutting-edge technology," said IOC President Thomas Bach.
Some of that technology is expected to be showcased as early as next year, when Pyeongchang in South Korea hosts the 2018 Winter Games.
USA Pressekonferenz Intel IOC in New York (picture-alliance/AP Photo/C. Sykes)
From VR to 5G, Intel use the Olympics as a platform to roll out their latest technologies.
Announcing the deal in New York late on Wednesday, Bach and Intel Chief Executive Officer Brian Krzanich said the deal would open a host of new experiences up to athletes, fans and viewers.
"Through this close collaboration with the Olympic family, we will accelerate the adoption of technology for the future of sports on the world's largest athletic stage," Krzanich said. "We'll allow people online to feel like they are there."
Courting younger audiences
The IOC has been trying to make the games more technology-savvy in a bid to appeal to younger viewers. Earlier this year, it signed a similar sponsorship deal with the Chinese e-commerce firm, Alibaba. Samsung has also been a prominent Olympic partner since in 1988.
Bach admitted that Olympic viewership over the past decade had trended towards older audiences.
"I got really concerned because then, you have to ask yourself, 'Why?'" he said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We could see from about 2012 on that it was very much a question about the platform. The youth just weren't watching as much TV as they used to in the past."
Bach described the deal as a "novel step" and "a milestone in achieving our goals" of bringing more young people to the Olympics.


Watch video01:26

Tokyo businesses protest Olympic plans

Intel's Asia drive
Intel has in recent years sought to move beyond its core microprocessor business, which has faced declines as the personal computing market veers towards mobile devices.
Earlier this year, it acquired Mobileye, an Israeli tech firm specializing in autonomous driving technology, for just under $15 billion.
The deal will also see Intel expand its reach into Asia, which will host the next three consecutive Olympic Games. After the 2018 games in Pyeongchang, Tokyo will host the 2020 Summer Games and Beijing the Winter Games in 2022.


Watch video26:00

Made in Germany - Industry 4.0: High-tech vs Tradition

McDonald's pulls out of Olympics sponsorship
The IOC's deal with Intel comes a week after it and fast-food giant McDonalds ended their 41-year sponsorship.
McDonald's cited a change in the company priorities as the reason for terminating the deal. The company has been tightening costs as it invests in improving its food quality, restaurant service and online ordering to woo back diners in the United States, where intense competition has gnawed away at sales.
Meanwhile, the IOC faced criticism from public health campaigners for allowing sponsors such as Coca-Cola and McDonald's to use the Games as an opportunity to market their products, which contrast with the image of healthy living that the event seeks to promote.
"With McDonald's, it's very easy," Bach said. "They are changing and we are changing and this is why we agreed on going different ways."

2017年6月18日 星期日

Expanded state ownership is a risky solution to economic ills

The rise of Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders hints at a weakening of the rich-world consensus that the less of the economy owned by the government, the better. That is a pity

The perils of nationalisation
ECONOMIST.COM

2017年6月15日 星期四

international airlines with the best on-time performance records. Air Berlin scans horizon for a savior


Air Berlin scans horizon for a savior

Investors in Germany's second-largest carrier, Air Berlin, are meeting in
London to debate ways out of a deep financial crisis the airline has
grappled with in recent years. Can the troubled company really be rescued?

The www.dw.com Article
------
Every year, the aviation insights company FlightStats puts together a list of the international airlines with the best on-time performance records. It’s the capstone to the company’s year-round efforts to track delay and cancellation patterns for airlines across the globe. We’ve asked them to share all of their annual findings so we can point out the losers, too. Without further ado, here are the full results, along with your likelihood of getting delayed on each carrier:

The Worst 10 International Airlines of 2016

  • 10. Hainan Airlines – 30.3 percent
  • 9. Korean Air – 31.74 percent 
  • 8. Air China – 32.73 percent
  • 7. Hong Kong Airlines – 33.42 percent
  • 6. China Eastern Airlines – 35.8 percent
  • 5. Asiana Airlines – 37.46 percent
  • 4. Philippine Airlines – 38.33 percent
  • 3. Air India – 38.71 percent
  • 2. Icelandair – 41.05 percent
  • 1. El Al – 56 percent

The Best 10 International Airlines of 2016

  • 10. Qantas – 15.7 percent
  • 9. TAM Linhas Aéreas – 14.93 percent
  • 8. Delta Air Lines – 14.83 percent
  • 7. Singapore Airlines – 14.55 percent
  • 6. ANA – 14.46 percent
  • 5. Austrian – 14.26 percent
  • 4. Qatar Airways – 13.66 percent
  • 3. JAL – 12.2 percent
  • 2. Iberia – 11.82 percent
  • 1. KLM – 11.47 percent

2017年6月9日 星期五

港貧富懸殊續惡化 堅尼系數達0.539半世紀新高 統計處不再提供英澳加數字比較

政府統計處公布香港住戶收入分布報告,當中披露2016年本港的堅尼系數為0.539,較2011年的0.537上升0.002,亦是45年來新高,反映其間在人口老化及一、二人住戶增加影響之下,令住戶收入差距有所擴大。
政府統計處公布香港住戶收入分布報告,當中披露2016年本港的堅尼系數為0.539,較2011年...
THESTANDNEWS.COM



Gini coefficient」的各地常用別名
中國大陸基尼係數
臺灣吉尼係數、堅尼係數
港澳堅尼系數
馬新基尼係數



吉尼係數英語:Gini coefficient),是20世紀初義大利學者科拉多·吉尼根據勞倫茨曲線所定義的判斷年收入分配公平程度的指標[2]。是比例數值,在0和1之間。吉尼指數(Gini index)是指吉尼係數乘100倍作百分比表示。

定義[編輯]

圖中橫軸為人口累計百分比,縱軸為該部分人的收入佔人口總收入的百分比,三條色線各表示不同情況下後者和前者的比例。綠線表示人口收入分配處於絕對平均狀態,藍線表示絕對不平均(即所有收入由一人獨佔),紅線則表示實際情況。紅線和綠線之間的面積越小,則收入分配越平等。
設右圖中的實際收入分配曲線紅線)和收入分配絕對平等線綠線)之間的面積為A,和收入分配絕對不平等線藍線)之間的面積為B,則表示收入與人口之間的比例的吉尼係數[3]
如果A為零,即吉尼係數為0,表示收入分配完全平等(紅線和綠線重疊);如果B為零,則係數為1,收入分配絕對不平等(紅線和藍線重疊)。該係數可在0和1之間取任何值。收入分配越趨向平等,勞倫茨曲線的弧度越小(斜度越傾向45度),吉尼係數也越小;反之,收入分配越趨向不平等,勞倫茨曲線的弧度越大,那麼吉尼係數也越大。
吉尼係數的調節需要國家通過財政政策進行國民收入的二次分配,例如對民眾的財政公共服務支出和稅收等,從而讓收入均等化,令吉尼係數縮小。

WeWork

Back in 2008, Brooklyn architect Miguel McKelvey was bored with his job. Nine years later, his new company is worth $17 billion.

For frustrated architects, the startup path offers potential ways to have a much bigger — and better-paid — impact on the built environment.
ARCHITIZER.COM

WeWork is an American company which provides shared workspace, community, and services for entrepreneurs, freelancers, startups and small businesses. Founded in 2010, it is headquartered in New York City. Wikipedia
OwnerAdam Neumann
CEOAdam Neumann (Feb 15, 2010–)
BrandsWeWork, WeWork Labs, WeLive

2017年6月8日 星期四

雄才大略與政治風險: Qatar's $200 Billion in World Cup Projects in Limbo



Saudi Blockade Leaves Qatar's $200 Billion in World Cup Projects in Limbo
by
Mohammed Sergie and
Deena Kamel
2017 M06 9 05:00 GMT+8


  • Cuts in ties with Qatar slow construction, energy supplies
  • Isolation by sea, land, air may boost volumes at Oman port
Khalifa International Stadium in Doha, Qatar, on May 19, 2017.
 
Photographer: Neville Hopwood/Getty Images for Qatar 2022
Qatar is spending $500 million a week to bring the world’s biggest sporting event to the Arab world for the first time. Its neighbors, the intended spectators, are blocking supplies from cement to door handles that the country needs to pull off the feat.
The road to soccer’s 2022 World Cup has been mired in controversy since Qatar won its bid seven years ago. But the world’s richest nation per capita has soldiered on, committing $200 billion to develop at least eight new stadiums, a $35 billion metro and rail system, and a new city for 200,000 people. It also plans to double the size of its airport to handle as many as 53 million passengers a year.
Construction continues for now despite a blockade that’s stranding trucks in Saudi Arabia and cargo in ports in the United Arab Emirates. Both countries, along with Bahrain and Egypt, cut transportation links with Qatar, including roads across the peninsula’s only land border. Qatar’s neighbors accuse it of destabilizing the region by supporting proxies of Shiite Muslim Iran and the Sunni militants of al-Qaeda and Islamic State, charges the sheikhdom has repeatedly denied.
All countries in the energy-rich region depend on imports, but Qatar’s main trade routes connect by land with Saudi Arabia and by sea via ports in the U.A.E. All but one of the 26 container ships that called on Qatar last month stopped at one or more ports in the U.A.E., Bloomberg tracking data show.

Logistics Chains

To restore reliable access to imports, “dedicated feeder services would have to be set up to and from Qatar, which may take time to effect,” Neil Davidson, senior analyst of ports and terminals at London-based Drewry Shipping Consultants Ltd., said by email. “The cost of any alternative routing would undoubtedly be higher than the current set-up.”
Qatar’s dependence on U.A.E. ports and logistics chains is significant. The smaller nation accounted for almost 30 percent of the U.A.E.’s non-oil exports in the third quarter of 2016, according to the latest data from the U.A.E.’s Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority. Those shipments consisted mostly of sulfur, earths and stones, plaster, lime and cement used by the construction industry, according to the data.
More pressing than a soccer tournament in five years is the task of keeping Qatar’s oil and gas industry humming, and energy companies are stockpiling materials and equipment, two distributors in Doha said, asking not to be identified due to political tensions in the country. Qatar is the world’s biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas and, like Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E., a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Shipment Diverted

One of the distributors said his biggest clients, state-run Qatar Petroleum and its LNG subsidiaries, are buying up all his supplies and asking for confirmation that he can fulfill future orders. He said he’s hustling to arrange for 47 cargoes stuck in Jebel Ali port in the U.A.E. emirate of Dubai to be re-exported via Oman or Kuwait. One shipment on a vessel from China was diverted to stop first in Qatar rather than the U.A.E. so as to bypass the blockade, he said.
Qatar Petroleum didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The nation’s Hamad port, which opened recently south of Doha, is big enough to accommodate large cargo ships, and companies are looking for alternative supply sources, Foreign Minister Mohammed Al Thani told reporters at his office on Thursday.
A manager at a building supplies company, who also asked not to be identified given the political tensions, said he ordered trucks that were marooned at the Saudi border to drive instead to Oman, more than 500 kilometers (310 miles) in the opposite direction. From there, he plans to arrange for ships to load the goods at Sohar or another Omani port and deliver them by sea. Some items in Jebel Ali that he needs to complete a project will come to Qatar via air freight, he said.
Qatar will endure the worst of the cut in trade links, but Saudi Arabian and U.A.E. companies can also expect some pain. The winners in the Gulf dispute appear so far to be nearby countries that are sitting on the sidelines: Oman, Kuwait and Iran.
"Jebel Ali is likely to be most affected, as it is the main hub for Qatar," Davidson said. "Sohar and Iranian ports, Bandar Abbas in particular, stand to benefit."

恢復邦交清單;Russian hackers planted a false news story... “多面”卡塔尔难以“左右逢源”. Trump.....半島電視台(Al-Jazeera);10億美金勒索 Qatar’s $1bn ransom to jihadists & Iran

卡達官員稱,川普在電話中「表示已準備好針對波灣外交危機尋找解決方案,並強調他熱切期盼波灣地區維持穩定」。卡達是美國在中東的重要反恐夥伴,設有軍事基地。 
科威特國王薩巴赫前晚抵卡達,雙方研議如何恢復正常關係。卡達否認資助極端主義,稱願就調解衝突進行談判。卡達內政部公布初步調查報告,指惹惱沙國等邦交國引發斷交潮的干涉他國內政傳聞,是卡達新聞社4月遭駭客植入的假新聞。 
美國《華爾街日報》報導,阿拉伯國家正在起草清單,只要卡達滿足所列條件就可恢復邦交,包括停止向中東極端組織提供資助,切斷與穆斯林兄弟會政治領袖的聯繫,及大減半島電視台的媒體網絡。6.8


------
台灣的重要能源供應商Qatar。
Qatar 王室之"國際關係"經營能力強。

US intelligence officials believe Russian hackers planted a false news story that prompted Saudi Arabia and several allies to sever relations with Qatar.

Bureau experts visited Doha in May to analyse alleged cyber breach in which hackers placed story with state news agency, CNN reports
THEGUARDIAN.COM


Trump Suggests He Led Saudis to Isolate Qatar Over Terror Ties

  • “During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology,” President Trump said on Twitter. “Leaders pointed to Qatar — look!”
  • Mr. Trump’s tweets have huge potential strategic consequences in the Middle East, where Qatar is a crucial military outpost for the United States.
------
Qatar’s $1bn ransom to jihadists & Iran aided Gulf states’ decision to cut ties – media
Qatar’s $1bn ransom to jihadists & Iran aided Gulf states’ decision to cut ties – media
Qatar’s $1-billion ransom deal to release royal family members kidnapped in Iraq was allegedly one of the reasons the Gulf monarchies’ decided to severe diplomatic ties with Doha, the Financial Times (FT) reports, citing sources close to the case.
In particular, the newspaper’s report refers to commanders of militant groups and government officials with knowledge of the hostage deal. According to them, Doha spent around $1 billion to secure the release of 26 members of a Qatari hunting party in southern Iraq and about 50 militants captured by Islamists in Syria. 
In April, 26 royals, many of them cousins of the Qatari emir, were handed over to the Iraqi government by the local Shia Kataib Hezbollah group, believed to be behind the kidnapping, which happened during a December 2015 falconry trip in Iraq.
Two Middle East diplomats told the Financial Times they believed the kidnapping of the royals was done to give Hezbollah and predominantly Shia Iran “leverage” to negotiate the release of Shia fighters abducted by Tahrir al-Sham, which is an Al-Qaeda offshoot in Syria.
According to FT sources, Qatar ended up paying ransom to both Iranian security officials and Islamists, causing uproar in Gulf capitals.
“The ransom payments are the straw that broke the camel’s back,” one Middle Eastern observer told the newspaper.
The release of hostages was effectively linked to “a separate agreement to facilitate the evacuation of four towns in Syria,” the newspaper says, noting that two of the towns were under siege from rebels, and two from jihadists.
“Iran and Qatar had long been looking for a cover to do this [hostage] deal, and they finally found it,” an unnamed Western official told FT.
Some estimates say up to $140 million went to Tahrir al-Sham and around $80 million to Ahrar al-Sham group. Yet, an Arab official said the total amount paid to Islamist groups in ransom was more likely around $300 million.
According to the person, “if you add that up to the other $700 million they paid to Iran and its proxies, that means Qatar actually spent about a billion dollars on this crazy deal,” he said.
“If you want to know how Qatar funds jihadis, look no further than the hostage deal,” said a Syrian opposition figure who worked with an Al-Qaeda mediator on hostage swaps in Syria.
According to the source, that particular deal was not the first, but “one of a series since the beginning of the war.”
A Qatari government source confirmed to the newspaper that payments were indeed made, though he did not elaborate. There has not been official confirmation from Doha either.
The report comes after key Arab League states, including Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) severed diplomatic ties and transport links to Qatar, alleging the gas-rich country sponsors extremism and terrorism. Qatar strongly denies the allegations, as no official proof of the claims has been provided.


------
阿拉伯國家與卡達斷交後數小時,沙烏地阿拉伯立即宣布關閉位於沙國首都利雅德的半島電視台辦公室。分析家認為,卡達聞名全球的國營半島電視台極可能在這波外交齟齬中成為頭號犧牲者,從此熄燈停播,以化解兩造之間的衝突。
已有20多年歷史的半島電視台(Al-Jazeera)在全球有近80個據點,是2011年「阿拉伯之春」民主浪潮的傳聲筒,可謂是卡達最傲人的文化皇冠。但這股軟實力,也為卡達樹敵。
在中東地區,媒體多被視為政治工具。半島以勇於報導人權議題和受害人民的處境聞名,包括不時批評沙國、埃及政府的作為,報導偏袒埃及前總統莫西,令阿拉伯國家極為不滿。埃及新政府2014年上台後,立即逮捕3名半島記者,半島在埃及合作的電視網因此關閉。

賓拉登曾藉此發言

外界也批評半島對伊斯蘭主義者太友善,恐怖組織「基地」前領導人賓拉登就曾透過半島發表談話,引起國際關注。
阿拉伯知名評論家阿卡薩米指,阿拉伯國家接下來極可能要求卡達讓步以恢復外交,「卡達國王第一個善意可能就是半島全面停播,這可能在幾周或幾個月內發生」。英國智庫「皇家聯合服務研究所」分析家史帝芬斯認為,卡達會被迫做重大讓步,半島的處境岌岌可危。
編譯韓政燕 

網誌存檔